Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The Rules Of Braaing

The other day my husband’s friend called him saying he is having a braai. Husband and I were at home, the kids were with their grandparents so we jumped at the opportunity to act  as if we have a life.As soon as we arrived it became apparent that I was the only significant other there.

The fact that I was the only woman did not bother me much, in fact it made things much easier.  You see there’s a certain unwritten rule when black people braai; the men braai outdoors while the women sit inside the house. I hate this rule and hardly abide by it, which leads to my poor husband being the butt of one too many cuckold jokes.

Why are men so adamant that the woman stay indoors? Does that not defeat the whole point of being at a braai? I mean, if I wanted to spend my afternoon in a room full of women I would’ve joined a society (social club). Zenzile always tells me that guys talk about two things; sports and cars. Well if that’s the case what is about last nights game that you don’t want me to find out? Or do you think the new BMW 3series is just too much for me to handle? Are you avoiding having to explain what’s off-side or V8?

What about the couples who actually like spending time together? Who don’t go to braai’s to escape their partner but for quality time in a different setting?  Why must I be subjected to being stuck indoors making salads, listening to people whine about their men and then be forced to dish up for the said men or take them their food as if I’m some sort of mail order bride.

I know I’m not the only woman who feels this way, there has to be a revolution, women need to say no to being stuck indoors. Or maybe the reason to all this is the shortage of outdoor seating…In that case, keep a camp chair in the boot ladies!

2 comments:

  1. men outside and women inside is not only a black people braai 'rule'. Its a general braai rule i think - and one i hate too
    The inside conversation is alwasy less interesting and always involves making bloody salad.

    I'm an outside at a braai kinda chick - and the men are always willing to talkabout more than sport and car anyway! if more of us came outside - things would change

    Viva la braai revolution

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! so glad to know I'm not alone in this revolution. I honestly thought it was a Black thing...

    ReplyDelete