Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Not So Super Woman

Never in my life have I been so happy for a month to end. Have you ever had those periods in life where it seems all that can go wrong, goes wrong, all at once? I wish I could go back and recount all the horrible things that happened, but such is life, I have forgotten most of “the worst things ever”.

What I can recount though is how my alter ego "Super Mommy” took a few knocks, which honestly gave me sleepless nights, and could’ve possibly had me admitted to a mental asylum had I not come to my senses and realised “I am HUMAN”.

Let's start with “The Blazer Incident”. A few weeks ago Khwezi’s teacher sent a letter that we had to acknowledge asking us to check our sons Blazers because someone took  David’s blazer and they have an unmarked blazer in class. In between the homework, making lunch and keeping Khaya from tearing Khwezi’s books I signed the said letter. I did not check the blazer. 10 days later schools are closing and the boys have to wear their Blazers. Guess who has David's Blazer. After school there's a letter,of course. I have to write a letter of apology and BOOM Super Mommy takes a knock.

When I had finally gotten over The Blazer incident and was back in Super Mommy mode cooking and baking up a storm for my family Easter weekend, Super Mom takes another knock. While Zenzile was out getting the ingredients to make custard, I was baking and Khaya and Khwezi were upstairs playing in their room. It was the perfect Easter day. That is until Khwezi came running down the stairs screaming: “Khaya swallowed a moth ball”.

What happened afterwards was a lot of panic, although I had no idea of the size of the mothball, and Khaya was his normal self. We took no chances and went straight to the ER. Blood tests were normal but he had to be kept under observation overnight, which meant I had to sleep in a plastic chair next to him. In true Super Mommy mode as Khaya slept, Zenzile and I were sending texts back and forth about how to salvage the under cooked Malva pudding.

As morning came on Easter Sunday, we left the hospital. I got home, took a shower and got dressed to go to a funeral. 

A friend's children Zweli (7), Zanele (9), and Thami (13) had been shot and murdered along with their mother by the mother's clinically depressed boyfriend, who was a policeman, with his service pistol.

Sometimes we think we have problems: blazers, kids swallowing things, burnt puddings, but all of those things are so trivial. We need to cherish each and every moment. The good, the bad, the ugly because life is not guaranteed.

If I should die tomorrow, my tombstone will not read: "Here lies Naledi Khumalo, a woman who burnt puddings".

1 comment:

  1. Love your posts. Freaken hilarious! In a wierd way, u kinda make motherhood sound fun, nerve wrecking, but fun. Looking forward to reading more of your stuff!

    http://themegazeen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete